my trip to the Antarctica and the South Pole

Monday, August 15, 2005

Light at the End of the Tunnel

This weekend, when I walked outside, the sky was offering one of the best shows I've ever seen. A giant green and purple swirling aurora was rippling across the sky. The moon was about half full and turning the sky into a deep dark blue instead of the usual black. It was extremely clear, and the stars were even rivaling the moon. But, by far the coolest thing was an unmistakable PINK GLOW on the horizon where the sun was lying below. It was definitely the first time I've seen anything that could be described as a glow on the horizon. After literally 6 months of pitch black, it was a huge relief to see that the sun hadn't abandoned us. I can't believe that I'll actually be seeing the sun in less than a month. It will be so awesome to see what everything looks like in the light. There are new snow drifts everywhere that have completely changed the landscape, although they've never actually been seen in the light.



People's spirits have definitely lifted since that day. Just something about knowing that time is moving on and things will be changing soon makes the cold and isolation not feel as bad. I'm not packing my bags yet or anything, but I am definitely ready to take on these last two months!



<>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home